Eligibility for a Learner Permit
Ready to hit the road? If you're 17 years or older and have passed the Driver Theory Test, you're eligible to apply for a learner permit in Ireland. Remember, mastering safe driving skills is a journey, and it all starts here.
Applying for Your Learner Permit
Application for a learner permit involves several important steps:
- Complete the application form D201.
- Provide a recent passport-sized photograph.
- Provide proof of your PPS Number and proof of address dated within the last 6 months.
- If required, submit a completed NDLS medical report form.
- Pass an eyesight test conducted by an optician or doctor who will fill out the eyesight report form (D502).
Learner Permit Fees
The cost of a new learner permit application is €35. This fee also applies to renewal applications, addition or removal of a category on the permit, and replacement or duplicate licences.
Learner Permit Validity
Once you receive your learner permit, it is valid for two years. This gives you ample time to practice your driving skills and prepare for your driving test.
Already got your learner permit?
Your learner permit is your ticket to start the EDT program. The EDT is a mandatory training programme delivered by an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI). Let's get you on the road—safely, confidently, and with all the skills you need to be a competent driver. Contact us today to book your first lesson!